Juice WRLD’s death in December was the result of accidental overdose, officials reported earlier today.
The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office released a Twitter statement on January 22 saying the 21-year-old Chicago rapper “died as a result of oxycodone and codeine toxicity.” It also added that it was an accidental overdose.
The Medical Examiner's Office has determined the cause and manner of death of 21-year-old Jarad A. Higgins.
Higgins died as a result of oxycodone and codeine toxicity.
The manner of death is accident.@JuiceWorlddd #Juicewrld
— Cook County ME (@CookCountyME) January 22, 2020
Juice, whose real name is Jarad Anthony Higgins, died on December 8 at Chicago’s Midway airport after his private plane was reportedly searched by law enforcement for contraband. According to the New York Times, Higgins suffered a seizure and was brought to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Following his death, Higgins’ mother Carmella Wallace spoke out about her son’s struggle with substance abuse. “As he often addressed in his music and to his fans, Jarad battled with prescription drug dependency,” she wrote in a statement to TMZ. “Addiction knows no boundaries and its impact goes way beyond the person fighting it. Jarad was a son, brother, grandson, friend and so much more to so many people who wanted more than anything to see him defeat addiction,”
Remember Juice WRLD with our guide to the Chicago rapper.